A penis that is red when it is erect and fully engorged with blood is a good thing, both for the owner of the penis and his partner. At other times, though, a red penis – particularly one that is tender, sore or irritated — can be a sign that all is not well. Some indications of an under-lying problem include:
- Reddened skin when an erection is not present;
- Tenderness/soreness to the touch;
- Moderate to severe pain;
- Itching or burning of the shaft, foreskin, glans or urethral opening;
- Rash, lesions, patches or sores.
In most cases, these symptoms do not indicate a serious problem and can be treated at home, or simply left to clear up on their own. How-ever, it is important to be aware of the typical causes of red penis skin and to recognize when more advanced care is needed.
Causes of Red Penis Skin
Most often, a red penis is simply the result of prolonged or aggressive sexual activity, which can cause the skin to become chafed, sensitive, or sore. In most cases, the symptoms will fade within 2-24 hours.
- Abstain from all sexual activity, including masturbation or partner sex, until the symptoms have subsided. Continuing to engage in sex can cause further irritation and prolong the soreness.
- Ease discomfort by applying a cool compress. Do not apply ice or frozen gel packs directly to the skin.
- Use a personal lubricant for both penetrative sex and solo play to reduce the risk of recurrence.
- Support healing and maintain overall tissue health by using a nutrient-based penis health crème (health professionals recommend Man1 Man Oil™ as part of a daily personal care regimen.
Also known as dermatitis, this condition can affect any part of the body. Eczema is an autoimmune reaction, either to something in the environment (such as chemicals in laundry detergent) or to something in the diet. Even stress can cause eczema outbreaks in some individuals.
Eczema-related symptoms include not only reddened skin, but the appearance of an itchy rash or multiple tiny blisters; as these clear, they may begin to peel, leaving the skin extremely dry and flaky. Even with treatment, eczema outbreaks can be extremely persistent.
- Avoid contact with known irritants, and try to identify any unknown triggers.
- Use sensitive-skin or hypoallergenic detergents and personal care products.
- Wear only cotton underwear – synthetic materials can trigger symptoms in some men.
- See a doctor for a prescription treatment, which may include a steroid cream. This is intended to treat the itching, but it may not eliminate the redness or dry, flaky skin.
- Use a high-end penis-friendly moisturizer such as Man1™ – a product containing Shea butter (for soothing and healing) and vitamin E (for healing and locking in moisture) works best. This can be used along with prescription ointments and creams.
Penile cancer is extremely rare, but it is useful to be aware of the symptoms and to perform period self-exams to check for irregularities. It may present as red or blue-brown lumps or growths on the penis.
- See a doctor for any unusual growths, spots, or lesions. The earlier cancer is detected, the better the chances of a complete cure.
Men who are allergic to latex may experience burning, itching and redness from use of latex condoms. In severe cases, respiratory symptoms may also appear.
- Discontinue use of latex products immediately, as symptoms can worsen on repeated exposure.
- Use non-latex condoms – polyurethane is generally a safe option.
- See a doctor for any respiratory symptoms.
- Use a nutrient-rich penile health crème to soothe stressed and irritated skin.
This term refers to an inflammation of the glans (head) of the penis and/or the foreskin. It mainly affects uncircumcised men, although occasionally, men who have been circumcised may also develop a red, swollen glans. In uncircumcised men, this is most often caused by inadequate hygiene; failing to clean under the foreskin can result in a build-up of dead skin cells, body oils and other substances that provide a haven for bacteria. Swelling of the head/foreskin can also be caused by thrush (yeast infection) or even skin allergies. Balanitis is characterized by redness, swelling, pain, skin that feels warm or hot to the touch, peeling, and/or a whitish, pasty discharge.
- See a doctor, especially if it is the first time you have experienced these symptoms. A quick exam can rule out any other conditions, such as yeast infection. A doctor may prescribe antibiotics to clear up any bacterial infection, and a steroid crème may be used for swelling.
- Use a gentle cleanser and clean the area thoroughly at least once a day. Any build-up of smegma should be removed.
- Apply a cool compress to relieve the pain and swelling (never apply ice or frozen gel packs directly to the penile skin).
- Abstain from sexual activity of any kind until the condition resolves to avoid prolonging the problem or causing further pain.
Sexually Transmitted Infection:
Many sexually transmitted diseases can cause symptoms that include rash, blisters, and reddened, shiny or flaky penile skin. These may include chlamydia, genital herpes, gonorrhea, genital warts and syphilis. Men who are sexually active should be tested regularly for STIs – every 6 months is recommended – and they should ensure that their partners are tested, as well.
- Anyone who suspects they may have an STI should refrain from sexual contact and see a doctor right away. Many STIs can be cured if they are caught early on, using antibiotics or other medications. Other conditions, such as genital herpes, cannot be cured and require ongoing treatment.
- A penis health crème such as Man1 Man Oil may be used to relieve dry, itchy, flaky skin caused by some STIs. However, men should NOT use Man1 or other crèmes containing L arginine
Help for a Red Penis
A red penis can be worrisome and embarrassing, but there is help! It is always important to check with a trained medical professional for advice on penile health concerns; but for men with surface-level problems such as skin that is chafed and sore from over-use, an advanced penis health crème like Man1 Man Oil, with 9 penis-specific and moisturizing ingredients, can help overcome redness and improve the overall look and feel of the penis.